Monday, September 6, 2010

The Jackson 5 in Australia

Sometimes the backs of press photos are just as interesting at the fronts. Take these two photos, for example.



I bought these two together years ago from an Australian record dealer who identified them as being from the Jackson 5's 1973 tour to Australia. They are a nice pair of live concert shots, but if they hadn't been press photos, I would have missed all this information that was recorded on the back. It identifies the concert as being the June 26 concert at Festival Hall in Melbourne.

But read on... there's more.


An Australian TV special? With live concert footage? We can learn from the news caption that it aired a month later (July 21) on ATN-7 at 6:30 pm. And the back of Michael's photo tells us that he was singing "Ben."


Any Australian fans out there who remember seeing The Jackson Five in Australia?

9 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! Thanks J5Collector, I was actually wondering about the same thing when the J5 were in Japan. there's this photo where you see them rehearsing and it's apparently for a tv show but I've never seen that tv appearance!
    So much things are still buried in archives safes. I wonder if we ever will see them all one day.
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a couple of clips on YouTube for a while from one of the Japanese concerts. I assume they were from the Japanese TV special. I'm surprised the whole thing hasn't surfaced because the Japanese sure love their classic soul. They were airing old Soul Train reruns long before anyone else was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Always more to look forward to!

    The word verification for today was:

    gooosehop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi J5 Collector awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, those pictures are great! I haven't seen many pictures of them performing in Australia yet... In fact, I think I've only seen 1 from the Brisbane Festival Hall before.

    And knowing there might still be some actual footage of this... Oh God,... thank you so much, j5collector!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man just one concert I wish there was more footage of is the first concert, Philly 1970. Man, what I would give for that concert!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the J5 at Brisbane's Festival Hall in 1973 - Michael wasn't dressed in white - he had really psychedelic pants on. No one got up to dance, but I was in the aisles..I was 15 and it was my first ever concert...what a night that was. I am trying to track down an Australian Tour Book for the 1973 Australian shows, but it is difficult..anyone know of one please let me know.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool, Anon. Yeah, the J5 usually changed took a few costume changes on the road with them. I'd love to see a photo of them in the clothes you saw them wearing. I see the Australia tour book come up for sale on Ebay now and then. Don't you wish you'd gotten it for a few dollars back in '73?

    ReplyDelete