Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Subtle Knife

If we can believe the editors as Spec and 16 (and that's a big if), the Jackson 5 had a photo session scheduled with the teen magazine giant on Jermaine's 17th birthday. Everyone forgot Jermaine's birthday, it seems, except for the fine folks at 16/Spec who surprised him with a cake. The whole day was documented in their May 1972 issue, complete with the photo evidence and Spec's classic teen-cheese write up.


I had this pin-up of Jermaine hanging up on my bedroom wall and I looked at it daily for almost a year, but I never noticed until I saw the real photo from the session that Jermaine isn't actually holding a knife in his hands -- he's just pretending to cut the cake.


I don't know if they had planned to have their graphic artist draw the knife in later, or if they just thought no one would notice. I know I never did -- I was too busy looking at Jermaine's sweet face.

He is holding something in his hands though. I can't tell what it is, but the photographer obviously gave him something that would simulate a knife handle so he'd get the pose right.


As for the cake topper, I can't tell if it's John, Paul or George.

9 comments:

  1. It's Paul. Paul McCartney is famous for playing left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Paul plays bass, Jermaine plays bass. Paul's Hofner semi-acoustic bass is shaped like a violin and Paul plays it upside down because of his left handed playing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew someone would know which Beatle it was! Thanks, Anon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In those days I wouldn't be surprised if Spec decided not to use one cos they thought white readers would be too scared a black man with knife. Jermany's got a bit of a mushroom head with that hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the article point out that everyone forgot his birthday or was that your observation? I only ask because I'm sure you know, they were Jehovah's Witnesses then and didn't celebrate birthdays. At the end of their 1st Ed Sullivan performance on 12/14/69 he wishes them a Merry Christmas and tells them he hopes they get everything they want. Little did he know they didn't celebrate Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The article said it, but in its usual Spec-speak -- "A quick shiny tear glistened on his beautiful brown cheek as he brooded by the window." (by the way, if you click on the image, it will zoom in to a large-enough size that you can read the article yourself).

    As I understand it, only Mrs Jackson and Rebbie were JW in the early years. Not sure how observant they were, in any case, since we've seen photos of Mrs Jackson's birthday parties over the years (usually a joint celebration with Jackie).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never saw her parties with Jackie, only saw video footage circa Thriller era where MJ sings to her in a silver lamé jacket. I heard MJ chose to be a JW at age 7 (as much as a 7 yr old can make such a heavy decision) and left the faith in the middle of filming "Smooth Criminal". Anyway, I don't think they were celebrating Christmas during that time, any of them, can't speak to birthdays of the others except for Mike, Rebbie, LaToya and Catherine. I think LaToya and Janet were also JW's, not 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael certainly sounded wistful about never having presents or parties for Christmas or his birthday in the 1991 interview he did with Oprah. But he made it sound like it was because they were always busy working, not due to religious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this site... that is all. :)

    ReplyDelete