Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The J5 Logo Shirt

This week I'll be showing you the J5 t-shirts that are part of my collection. I keep the shirts in sealed plastic bags, stacked on a shelf underneath concert programs and above a box containing buttons, badges, and trading cards from around the world.

On top of the stack you'll see the baseball cap that was used to promote Soulsation! when it came out in 1995. It came with a matching t-shirt. I also have a t-shirt that promoted The Jacksons: An American Dream. But this week, I'll only be looking at shirts from the J5 era.

Today Michael models a J5 logo t-shirt from my collection.

This is the first Jackson 5 t-shirt I ever bought for my collection, and I've never been sure if it's genuine or not. You can see that it's similar to -- but not quite the same -- as the logo shirts the J5 themselves used to wear in photos. The letters show wear, but the shirt itself looks more recent than 1975.

I have another one just like it in red that I bought a few years after I got the green one.

I bought them from two difference sources, years apart, but I'm not sure if this makes it more or less likely that either shirt is authentic. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a fake.

What I'd really like is one of these J5 logo shirts shown below that were auctioned off a few years ago.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a collector, and rarely have teeshirts with pop stars or else, I think the only 'promoting something' tee I got is one with SUPERMAN RETURNS, but I think I could have been tempted to own a J5 Teeshirt, that is, surely not an original one as I'm not even sure you can still find on in 'new' condition, but even a 'fake' one would make me happy.
    My favorites are the white with the j5 logo in red and the yellow one right next to the white one on the last photo.
    Yeah, I think I could see myself wearing proudly one of these tee-shirt. ;)

    I got an earworm plaguing me this last days, with the song 'Ooh Child', and I can hear Jermaine singing it (in my head) but I don't thing the brothers ever recorded that song, or sang it in concerts or appearances, right? It's making me so confused... Could you help me there?

    Oh and wishing you a very groovy new year! Thanks for all your articles that I read avidly and still with lots of pleasure.

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine, Ooh, Child was a hit for The Five Stairsteps, another family group the J5 were often compared to. I wrote about them on this blog back in July: http://j5collector.blogspot.com/2010/07/jackson-5-stairsteps.html

    ReplyDelete